Black Belt Syllabus


Systematic Black Belt Development

Hall’s Taekwondo sets itself apart from other schools with our extraordinary Beyond Black Belt Syllabus. Developed and perfected by Martin and Jeanette Hall through years of training and research, Beyond Black Belt is a world-first teaching program.

A professional handbook provides 180 pages of full-colour curriculum that guides our youngest Black Belt Junior students (aged about 9) from their 1st Poom or Dan through to full 5th Dan Black Belt, achieved through years of dedication and training.


The unique Beyond Black Belt symbol echoes the figure-of-eight infinity symbol, and represents constant and never-ending improvement for black belts of all ages and experience. The eight rotational pathways captured in the symbol provide a comprehensive framework for continuous physical and mental growth. 

Syllabus Rotations

A black belt may at first seem like the culmination of your training, and as the highest martial arts qualification it’s a remarkable achievement. But we believe that self-mastery is a never-ending journey, and true progress equals continuous learning. Beyond Black Belt gives dedicated practitioners a framework with which to constantly deepen their skill and understanding. The syllabus cleverly weaves eight themed rotations into a training and development program with infinite possibilities.

Rotations and Themes

Rotations 1-8 have the desired black belt mindset themes of: Passion, Clarity, Commitment, Determination, Flexibility, Self Control, Mental Toughness and Confidence.

Black Belt Excellence

Together, the rotations create Black Belt Excellence, a constant learning system that encompasses World Taekwondo Federation training methods and a compelling blend of techniques from the best of other martial arts. There are four categories of Black Belt Excellence: Art, Sparring, Self Defence and Mindset.


At the beginning of each rotation, students can choose to specialise in and be graded on Poomsae, sparring or demonstration techniques, and devote 70% of their energies to one of these methods. The remaining 30% of training load is then devoted to the other three categories of Black Belt Excellence.


Gradings are based on experience over time. The 180-page program lists time and age limits for promotion based on World Taekwondo Federation requirements.

Comprehensive Resource

The Beyond Black Belt Syllabus folder includes comprehensive information on the history of taekwondo, terminology, competition rules and the culture at Hall’s.