As Martial Artists it’s wonderful to have ethical foundations that support us and take on more meaning with time and experience.
When you’re in doubt socially, academically or professionally, keep to the basic teachings of your Taekwondo training – both mind and body - and you will always have strength, support and understanding for yourself and others.
THE 5 TENETS OF TAEKWONDO
1. COURTESY: Taekwondo students are expected to be polite to one another and respect others. They should also have kindness, humility, good manners and politeness.
2. INTEGRITY: One who has integrity is able to define what is right or wrong and have the conscience if wrong, to admit it. Taekwondo students should strive to be honest and to live by moral principles.
3. PERSEVERENCE: This means having patience. One of the most important secrets of Taekwondo is mastering every difficulty with perseverance. Practise perseverance on the little things and you will achieve success in matters of great importance
4. SELF CONTROL: Without self-control, a Taekwondo student is just like any fighter in the street. Loss of self-control is disastrous in both sparring and personal affairs.
5. INDOMITABLE SPIRIT: A true student of Taekwondo will never give up, not even when faced with insurmountable odds. The most difficult goals can be achieved with an indomitable spirit.